Blinds By Mark takes safety seriously – especially when it comes to ensuring your home or business is secure from the potential danger from hanging cords and chains to small children.
If you have young children or grandchildren, I strongly recommend you take time to properly assess the risks around your home, office or business.
Some hazards are obvious but here are some possible dangers to consider:
- Loose cords, braids, tapes and chains that are looped and hang alongside blinds or curtains can wrap around a child’s neck causing strangulation. To avoid accidents, make sure all pull cords are kept out of the reach of small children.
- Ensure all furniture, beds and cots are well away from windows with blinds and curtains that have loose cords fitted.
- Do not tie cords together into a continuous loop or twist open looped cords so that they form a tight loop.
- If you have cord loops for operating your blinds or curtains ensure these are fitted with quick release cord connectors or possibly tied back against the wall out of the reach of children.
There are several alternatives to cord or chain loops for keeping your little ones safe whilst still enjoying the flawless operation of your blinds and curtains:
- The ‘wand’ type of operating system – Blinds can be single-handedly opened, closed, raised or lowered without any cords or chains.
- The crank system – Allows blinds to be operated using a simple handle making this a safe alternative suitable for heavier or larger blinds.
- The remote controlled– Battery operated, this is not only extremely safe but very easy to operate. This can also be incorporated as a wall mounted switch.
- Cordless spring operated system – Available with some types of Roller blind. This allows you to simply push or pull blinds up or down as required.